You have been redirected from www.betabicycles.com
Welcome to BETA
Bicycle | Engineering
Testing | Approval
BETA Bicycle.Engineering was born with the ambition to make high-end bicycle engineering and custom bicycles accessible to everyone. Our products and our business model were designed with one goal in mind: Maximum rider benefit.
BETA is not a bike brand; it makes bike brands. Frames and parts designed by us are the perfect base to create high-end bicycles, without the huge investment for R&D, molds and product marketing normally associated with this kind of product.
We develop our products to compete at the highest level in terms of function and performance. Starting from a geometry (and for full suspension bikes kinematics) that gives us the best riding experience on early prototypes, we use state-of-the-art software (for CAD, CFD, FEA and draping simulation) and the help of some of the best industrial designers to model our frames and parts.
Because we develop our products in the factory, we also develop the manufacturing process, choose the most appropriate manufacturing technologies, materials and lay-ups. The product goes through rigorous testing before it is finally approved for production.
You have a project of your own and need help in development? Contact us for our engineering services.
Having our R&D located in Taiwan, we have the closest QC control you can have. The production process is documented at every step, with many QC inspections according to our instructions along the way. In-production testing guarantees stable quality and performance.
Developing the best product is useless if no one knows about it. Because many of our customers do not have the resources to do marketing and because you want to know what to expect from our products, we invest into getting our products reviewed by the media and independent test labs. We are also present at shows and test rides so you can check out our products. We are committed to a honest and transparent marketing, do not expect us to come up with false claims or pseudo-scientific data.
We like the idea of cutting out the middle man. However, many riders still need and value the support of a local shop. And many shops will still prefer the support of a brand or local distributor. That is why we are open to any distribution model, with a level playing field for everyone. Directly to the dealer, through a distributor or a brand, everything is possible.
Dealers and the riders themselves know best what suits them and, because everyone is different, nothing can beat a custom-built bike. With products engineered by BETA, building custom bikes becomes a competitive alternative to complete bikes that cannot suit your individual needs.
During more than 10 years of experience in carbon frame development, we optimized our process, found the best software and even programmed our own tools to develop frames as efficient as possible. These tools allowed us to speed up the modelling to just a fraction of what is needed if you do it the regular way, producing class A surfaces. On the other hand, draping simulation provided us the tools necessary to do a accurate simulations of carbon frames and also communicate precise layups to the factory. The tools we found are surprisingly affordable and therefore a quick return of investment is guaranteed. In our training, we share that knowledge. We can provide training for the following topics, tailored to your needs:
- 3D modelling: Speed up your modelling in Solidworks by using the most efficient process as well as additional tools that we can provide. Avoid mistakes by using standardized features. Save time by automating the things you need to do again and again for every new frame.
- Kinematics simulation: Calculate your kinematics directly in Solidworks.
- Draping simulation: Simulate the layup process on your model, and use the resulting laminate in your FEA.
- FEA: Simulate your frame using real fiber properties. Get a realistic of the stiffness, weight and strength of your product before opening molds or prototyping.
You want to raise your R+D to the next level? Contact us for an offer.
We developed bikes that won the Tour de France, MTB World Championships (in XC and 4X), made it to the Olympics in BMX and on track or were ridden to a new Ironman record time. But we realized we could do better bikes and make them more affordable without the limitations of a traditional brand. We are all passionate riders, and that formed our philosophy.
Being passionate about riding bikes ourselves, we develop products the way riders want them. This is our core value that leads us. What this means for us:
- No gimmicky marketing features. They are often expensive, over-complicated, not reliable and of little use for the rider.
- Simplicity most of the times means lightweight, reliability and low cost. Exactly what we want.
- Purposeful innovation. We are not against innovation at all. But we dislike the trend to come up with new standards every year and get new solutions onto the market before thoroughly testing them. Once we see a new standard has settled in the market and it has real benefit for the rider, we will follow it. If we come up with a new idea, we make sure it is purposeful, in line with our philosophy, and well tested before getting into the market.
- Manufacturing friendly design. Working in a factory, we see every day what challenges come with designs that are not production friendly. Designing with manufacturing in mind enables us to produce much more reliable, lightweight and affordable products.
- Reliability is a major concern in the bicycle industry. Our efforts for reliability start much earlier than in testing. Robust design takes manufacturing tolerances into account. Continuity in design means we keep and improve tried and tested solutions instead of trying a new solution with every new product. We follow up with serious indoor and outdoor testing. Our products are developed to need very little to no attention.
Before starting Bicycle.Engineering in 2017, Jonas Mueller worked as an engineer for well-known brands such as Santa Cruz, DT Swiss and BMC, developing several high-profile products. Being a former bicycle messenger, dual slalom racer and park rat, he enjoys riding any bike that goes fast.
Jonas cannot remember whether the passion for riding or for bikes started first, because both started at a very young age. As soon as he got hold of a set square and compasses, he started doing drawings of bike frames, which led to building carbon frames in the basement. This passion for technology is still alive and the main reason for starting Bicycle.Engineering: "Running my own company gives me the freedom to design frames and parts the way I think they are best, without any restrictions from marketing or company policy."
Bicycle.Engineering is not just Jonas Mueller, but a full network of friends, former co-workers and industry veterans, bringing in their expertise. Co-working on a contract basis allows Bicycle.Engineering to pick the best partners for each task.